Part Jane Goodall, part Mary Poppins, part Miss Hannigan. Not a significant source of Martha Stewart.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Aha! Now I get it.

Xavier has been saying something puzzling at church this summer. He looks up at the choir loft and asks me about it, so I tell him that's the organ up there. Then he spends the rest of the time pointing up at it and saying, "The shark is gonna come down! It's gotta come down!" Which I never understood.

Then today at 5:30 Mass he told me the orca was up there and I realized. He thought I was teling him there was a killer whale in the choir loft... orca instead of organ.

Well, duh. No wonder he was concerned about it coming down. He probably thought the rest of us were crazy for not paying attention to a clearly dangerous situation.

Also there is the fact that he seems to know a lot of things that I don't remember teaching him. The last couple of days he has come up to me on several occasions, shook my hand, and said, "Thank you for all your help." Where did that come from???????? And he has been asking, oh-so-politely and earnestly, "May I hold dat?" and "May I come wit you?" Again, don't know where the manners are coming from, but I am enjoying them!

Makes me realize again that these little people have a whole life to which I am not necessarily privy. Which was not a shocker when they were in day care all week long.